Breakthrough is a global human rights organization working to make violence against women and girls unacceptable. Our mission is to prevent violence against women and girls by transforming the norms and cultures that enable it. We carry out this mission by building a critical mass of change agents worldwide — the Breakthrough Generation — whose bold collective action will deliver irreversible impact on the issue of our time. Working out of centers in India and the U.S., we create innovative, relevant multimedia tools and programs — from short animations to long-term leadership training — that reach individuals and institutions where they are, inspiring and equipping them to build a world in which all people live with dignity, equality, and justice.
Breakthrough seeks a Communications Intern to work closely with the global communications director, who is based in the New York office. This is a great opportunity for someone with a strong interest both in traditional public relations/communications — especially for non-profits — and in innovative, creative, pop-driven approaches to social change.
- Help with implementation of communications plans and strategies
- Assist with maintenance and update of internal communications wiki
- Press research, press tracking
- Copyediting and/or proofreading
- Assist with website updates
- Miscellaneous administrative tasks supporting internal and external communications, and possibly program/campaign team as needed
- Other tasks depending on skills and experience
The ideal candidate will have the following skills:
- Proficient and strong interest in research, journalism, copywriting
- Familiarity with Internet and social networking tools/platforms
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Impeccable organization and accountability
- Ability to multitask and juggle multiple projects
- Comfort working both independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency with Google Docs, Word (including basic document design), Excel
How to apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter, stating your qualifications, to <firstname.lastname@example.org> with Communications Intern in the subject line.
Breakthrough is an equal opportunity employer committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws. Breakthrough prohibits discrimination against any employee and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, military status, height and weight, religion, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest record, or any other legally protected status.
Candidates must be available to work in our New York City office.