Breakthrough is a global human rights organization working to make violence against women and girls unacceptable. Our mission is to prevent violence against women and girls by transforming the norms and cultures that enable it. We carry out this mission by building a critical mass of change agents worldwide — the Breakthrough Generation — whose bold collective action will deliver irreversible impact on the issue of our time. Working out of centers in India and the U.S., we create innovative, relevant multimedia tools and programs — from short animations to long-term leadership training — that reach individuals and institutions where they are, inspiring and equipping them to build a world in which all people live with dignity, equality, and justice.
Breakthrough seeks a Program Team Intern to work in our New York office to contribute to the creation and dissemination of our interactive human rights campaigns. This is a great opportunity for an individual who has a strong interest in social media (Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr), building online multimedia campaigns, video games, public relations and writing. Interest in human rights, women’s rights, immigration, and racial justice is integral to the position. There is an additional opportunity in learning about video production as responsibilities may include transcribing video and participating in video shoots if candidate is interested.
- Promote Breakthrough’s online campaigns through posting/cross-posting, outreach, and other strategic use of social media.
- Work with Breakthrough team on new campaigns to support human rights and make violence against women unacceptable
- Attend outside events to promote Breakthrough, interacting with attendees to spread the word
- Press research, press tracking
- Additional social media and research tasks to be determined
- Video logging, assisting on video shoots
The ideal candidate will have the following skills:
- Proficient and strong interest in researching and writing for the web, journalism, and familiar with social networking sites
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- The ability to multi-task as well as work both independently and as part of a team in a small office is essential
- Google Doc knowledge, Excel, Photoshop, graphic design, video production or video editing skills a plus
How to apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter, stating your qualifications for this particular opportunity, to <firstname.lastname@example.org> with Program Team Intern in the subject line.
Breakthrough is an equal opportunity employer committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws. Breakthrough prohibits discrimination against any employee and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, military status, height and weight, religion, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest record, or any other legally protected status.
Candidates must be available to work in our New York office**